Devotion for Aug. 8 – Aug. 14 – Unity
Think as you read:
What difference does unity make in the life of a church and its individuals?
Read Philippians 2
Explore God’s Word
- What does Paul ask the Philippians to do in order to “make his joy complete (vv. 1-2)?”
- Whose example does he point to that will aid them in doing this (v. 5)?
- Whom does Paul remind them is working “in” them to help them in following Christ’s example for unified living (vv. 12-13)?
- Why is Paul so greatly concerned about how the Philippians conduct themselves (vv. 14-16)?
- Why does Paul want to send Timothy to the Philippians (v. 20)?
- Why was Epaohroditus sent by the Philippians to Paul (v. 25)? Why did Paul say he was distressed (v. 26)?
Apply God’s Word
- What keeps you from being completely unified with everyone in our fellowship?
- Out of the things that prevent this, how much of it is within your control?
- Paul says YOUR attitude should be the same as Christ Jesus (v. 5). In what ways have you tried to justify not having this attitude towards others?
- In our current state, would past leaders of our church be able to claim that “I did not run or labor for nothing (v. 16)?”
- What can you do in our church to build relationships of “genuine interest (v. 20),” like Timothy and Epaphroditus had with the Philippians?
Respond in PrayerPray for unity within our fellowship. Ask God what he wants YOU to do to help make this happen. Ask for forgiveness for the times you’ve failed at doing this.