Keep on Keepin’ On
Weekly Devotions and Prayer Guide
Devotion for Sept. 26 – Oct. 2 – Rejoicing and Remembering
Think as you read:
What role do your memories of church and your Christian walk play in your service to God today?
Read 1 Thessalonians 1
Explore God’s Word
- What did Paul, Silas, and Timothy remember about the Thessalonians (v. 3)?
- Why were Paul and his friends convinced that God had chosen the Thessalonians to do his work (vv. 4-5)?
- How did the Thessalonians joy in the midst of suffering impact other believers (vv. 6-7)?
- Who else, other than Paul and company, had special memories concerning the Thessalonians (vv. 8-9)?
- What motivated the Philippians to live this way and set this example (v. 10)?
Apply God’s Word
- How have the memories you have or do not have influenced your decision to be involved in church and to follow Jesus? Where would you be without these memories today?
- Do you have any negative memories regarding church involvement or church leaders? How are you keeping this from hindering your involvement and service today?
- The reasons the Thessalonians made such an impact was because they imitated their teachers (v. 6), who imitated Jesus. Who do you know that strives to imitate Jesus that you can learn from?
- The memory of the Thessalonians’ service was powerful (v. 5) because it affected others (vv. 7-8). What are you doing to make the memories you leave to others about more than yourself?
Respond in PrayerThank God for the memories of faithful Christians he’s allowed you to have. If you do not have any, ask him to give you some. Pray for our church and ask God to motivate us to make lasting memories together that point people to Jesus.